There were craft stands, and it was funny to me how similar the crafts were to those that would be at a similar market in the States. Some door-signs and things were even in English - "Let it snow!" somehow didn't seem to fit in... One craft we noticed that we might have to bring home as a sovenier were painted roof-tiles. Look back in some of the photos from past entries and you'll see the teracotta roof-tiles on so many of the buildings in this area. The craftsmen at the market had painted Christmas scenes or flowers on the tiles. We didn't find one we loved at this market, but since every village is having their version of a Mercatino di Natale in the next few weeks, I'm sure we'll see them again!
There were also, of course, lots of food and beverage stands, both to sample and to buy. They had the usual meats and cheeses, like salame di cervo (deer)... Many stands of crafts also had a little section of home-made jams or liquors. We found Specialita della Nonna - (Grandma's specialty) which tasted a little bit like eggnog. We bought a bottle to save until Christmas Eve. We also found marmellata di castagne (chestnut marmalade), mulled wine, and these adorable little bread-people, called "omina" if I'm remembering the sign correctly. They actually taste a little like choereg.
It's not snowing here, but I have a feeling it might sooner or later - it has been very cold here lately! Fa freddo!!! Oh well, so much for the mediteranian climate! Although we are a little jealous of Pennsylvania's snow during Thanksgiving week! I think I'll be eating ham on Thursday... and David will be in Madrid. Again, oh well!
No comments:
Post a Comment