
Yes, we got to see the sun for the first time today! It was definitely worth the wait. Unfortunately, we were in meetings for much of the day, so we didn't get a chance to take many pictures, but the weekend is supposed to be just as beautiful - I am planning on taking the camera everywhere soon! And I guess we
did come here to actually work... For now here's another view from our window at about 8:30pm - the lights are beginning to come on across the Lago (Lake Lugano) and you can actually see the top of the hill. It is a little fuzzy though since it was getting dark.
Today we started driving lessons - manual shift, scary hills and switchbacks, and 15-passenger vans - what a great combination! But they did combine this first observation-type lesson with a trip to Ikea and Coop - the grocery store. I have to say, we were very surprised with all the "American" items there! Dannon, Kelloggs, Barilla, and we even saw peanut butter! We refused to buy any of them and made ourselves try out the local products. There's also a McDonald's close by - with many regular offerings like a Big Mac, but they also have a Veggi Mac. We're going to try to resist that temptation as well!
As for the food we
have been trying, first of all, the dining hall has wonderful food - and all the new staff (there are around 30 of us, a high turn-over this year apparently) were taken out to dinner last night to a pizza ristorante - much more fancy than you would think. We also tried the local gelato shop - did I mention you can see it from our other windows? It is amazing!!! If you come to visit, that will be one of the first places we'll have to visit! (It will be a good excuse for us to go back!) We also had a walking tour of the town above the school, Montagnola, and since the local pizza ristorante Bella Vista was pointed out, we decided to go there for dinner. And it certainly does have a bella vista - you can see out over the Lago and you can even see Italy on the other side! We tried our best with Italian again, and actually ordered what we wanted, and I even ordered no onions on my pizza in Italian - surprised Woodland? :) We had tiramisu and mousse l'orange for dessert and espresso and of course, wine. David wants me to make sure to tell you the music selections we heard during our various outings - Bon Jovi and Maroon 5 at the grocery store, and Eminem and 50 Cent at the ristorante. (?!?!)
Well, that's probably enough for you to have to read through for now - I'll stop rambling! After tomorrow, I should definitely know more about what I'm doing here since I have a meeting with the headmaster. I'll let you know as soon as I do! And wish us luck for more driving lessons tomorrow. Look for pictures on Sunday of a hike the new teachers are taking to a waterfall! I can't wait! Thank you all for reading!
4 comments:
Hi!!
I was thinking about you today at Open House for Woodland. I was especially missing the fact that I can't open my door to chat anymore :-( ... so I decided to read your blog (I guess it's the next best thing). Anyway, the real reason for my comment was that reading about the no onions in Italian literally made me laugh out loud!
Hope you are enjoying your new home!!
This is so exciting!!! I rush home everyday to see what you have been doing and then your Mom fills in the rest. Just be careful with the driving sounds a little crazy. I love the view : )
Didn't I tell you that they LOOOOOVE Maroon Five over there?
Potete leggere Italiano ancora?
Bacioni!
Si, io poto leggere Italiano, ma non molto bene ancora. :)
Post a Comment